Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Ishmael Beah -

Tonight I went to a discussion at my college by Ishmael Beah, author of "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier". Wow. All I can say right now is Wow. I have been suffering some serious insomnia lately, so I do not want to comment on it right now because my over tiredness could never do it justice and I can't speak as eloquently as I wish to on the subject of child soldiers, okay not eloquently...that's not even the word I want to use. This man is 26 and he is being the change he wants to see in the world, I need to do the same. A lot of discussion was focused around the fact that so many people see people doing nothing, so they do nothing. This is true...This quote from during Hilters Regime was one I had never heard before, but I want to put it on here, I will comment more at a later time when I have my mind about me better...

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Here
is a link to an article Ismael wrote for the New York Times. More on this at another time...btw, I've already informed Sam that we are adopting a Child Soldier one day...

No comments: