Thursday, September 25, 2008

Making Bread...

I have had a few people ask about the process of making bread here at the Mahoney's. For those who don't know...we are a Gluten Free Household (except hubby). With two young boys, bread is something we go through quickly...so I make my own. Store bought stuff tastes rather horrific and store bought mixes grow $$ fast (that means expensive, they don't grow money - unfortunately). So here is the process...



I use a breadmaker and have a container where I keep the majority of my bread supplies, so I can just pull it down when it's time to make it (I also keep the recipe in there).

Here are the cast of characters (yes there is a lot).


I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl first, then add it to the breadmaker after I have put in my wet ingredients. Since I've pulled out all those crazy ingredients anyway, I also do up two batches of dry ingredients only (no yeast) in zip locks so that in a few days I don't have to bring out all those ingredients again...this way I only have to pull out all the ingredients about once a week.

Here is the recipe:

Put wet ingredients in the breadmaker first:
3 large eggs
1 2/3 cup water
3 tablespoons corn oil
1 teaspoon vinegar

In separate bowl - the dry ingredients:
1/4 cup brown or white rice flour (I use brown)
1 cup tapioca flour (I buy it by the case from Amazon)
1 1/2 cup corn flour
1/2 cup flaxseed flour (or meal I use meal - keep it in the fridge to keep it fresh)
1/2 cup skim milk powder
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum (this stuff is pretty $$ but you don't use a lot and it's a necessity for most gluten free recipes so make the investment! You can't skip out on this!)



Add dry contents to wet and mix (I don't mix because my breadmaker does it for me). With your finger make a depression and add 2 1/2 teaspoons gf yeast. Set breadmaker on whole wheat, light crust and press go.



If you use your breadmaker every three days like I do, it will start to look like mine. It's okay...it's not dirty, it's just bread (and burnt remnants of crazy bread that took over the breadmaker once...we scratched that recipe)...Don't waste your time trying to get it to look like new again, it's not going to happen.

Be sure to drink copious amounts of coffee

2 comments:

Kara said...

Hey Theresa...do you just do the dough only cycle and bake it in your oven, or do you do it all in the bread machine? I've been thinking about making my own bread all the time to save dough (pun totally intended) but I don't like the way it turns out in my machine. I usually just take it out and bake it in a pan when I do make a loaf. Wondering if it's just the kind of machine I have that makes it not turn out so great (odd shape) or if they're all like that.

Theresa said...

I make it in the machine, I also make hubby his bread in a different machine (his is a sideways one). Both actually come out looking pretty great - depends on the type of bread, let me take pics for you. :)