Monday, September 15, 2008

The Mahoney's are turning GREEN

I have been trying to be earth conscious for some time now...recycling, changing the lightbulbs, no papertowels, etc...but now I'm pretty sure I may drive us all crazy. But, we'll see. It's worth a shot and I'm happy to try anything once to see if it's doable, even if we have to alter our 'convenient' ways...just to make this world a better place for my boys, and their children in return.

Yesterday I put myself and hubby on the Opt Out list and took our name off lists for distributions of Catalogues...so hopefully within a few months our junk mail accumulation will be far less...We get so much! No joke! And most goes into the trash (shred first) or burned because our recycling doesn't take paper...crazy right? So, I'm working on making a shift and figuring out where I can take our paper because we accumulate a lot of it.

I'm challenging myself to not use the dishwasher for a week. GASP!

I will not buy anything new, only second hand as far as clothes, toys, etc. go (except for underwear and socks...blech).

AND I'm even going to give cloth diapers a whirl...yup! Just have to work on how to get them, where to get them, what I need, etc.

Oh and we've started switching off surge protectors...what doest that take an extra five seconds? So as of right now the downstairs is all off, the playroom is off and the living room...sweet right? Because, here's another new thing...NO MORE TV (during the day to start, I'm not sure I can give it up Cold Turkey)but typically I used to have it on for background noise, one on in the playroom, one on in the living room and sometimes...one on in the bedroom...ALL AT THE SAME TIME! I know, horrible!

So...here you go...here's a new fun thing to watch and snicker at...I may just drive us all crazy...but hey, saving the Earth is a Team Sport ya know?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you! I could stand to be more green (as we speak there are 3 TVs on in my house) but I could NEVER give up paper towels. I LOVE them so.