Saturday, June 14, 2008

Thayer Family Burial Yard...

I had mentioned a few days ago to some friends about a burial ground down the street from me and the funky things that happen here in my home. We have had weird occurances specifically with Conor's room, and his music...two different mobiles that played music...both with issues going off and playing music, with noone in the room (before Conor was born) or in the middle of the night when he was here...to the point of not shutting off no matter what we did, until we took it apart completely and removed it's batteries...oh and this was after it stopped working for weeks. Anyhow, that was a long spooky story that the small ankle biter attached to my leg probably won't let me get out...so let me show some pictures. (You can clicky the piccys to make them bigger...but your music will restart...bummer)

So here is what you see from the street. Down there, on the right...

What you don't see anything?

 

Nothing? Let's move closer...

 

Still not sure? See that sign? Little bit of a path?

 

Yup, that sign... Read it? Thayer Family Burial Yard...ca 1732
 
Posted by Picasa


Here, let's get a little closer:





And some real close ups...





And do you see those ones that look blank? I thought they were too old, or maybe never carved because they are small and small signifies children, usually infants...but when I got around to the back of the burial yard I saw that they were carved...on the backside...only with initials, I'm still guessing that they were infants, especially since S. Ella D.'s was so pronounced and she passed away at a two years old.






I have to say I was pretty at peace looking at these. In wonder yes, awe perhaps that they are pretty intact for how old they are. There are some that are sad...especially the one entirely broken...others have fallen, most so you can still read them, one I couldn't...but it seems they are left alone by vandals or kids, or kid vandals, which is a nice thing. It had been very hot walking there, and I was sweating on my way back, but while I took these pictures I was nice and cool and a great breeze had picked up.






Honestly, it has taken me seventeen years to upload these pictures...Not only has the ankle biter gone to bed, I'm pretty sure he's off to college soon... I do have a ton more pictures I'd love to share, they all probably look the same to you...yup hey, there's another grave, but I totally find this interesting don't you?

But alas, I have no more time on this computer as I have to go get ready to take Ankle Biter to med school...few more pics though...while I do my hair... ;) ...

Notice the family behind my house...notice behind my family is a fence...





Yes I realize it's nasty back there behind my fence but for some reason there is no way to get back there besides jumping the fence and I get poison ivy just looking at it but wait... hey what is that back there?




Yup

2 comments:

Mom2Da'Gorgeouses said...

Wow, those are some really interesting pics. Since you seem to be in very close proximity to those burial places, do you wonder if maybe the land your home was built on has a gravesite underneath it? Not that I would consider it spooky or anything, there's a saying in Spanish that goes along the lines of "the dead aren't the ones you need to worry about"---LOL!!

Momma Samul said...

That is amazing! I think the one behind your house would freak me out a little. The Thayer family burial yard is interesting. When was the last one buried there. Are there any more Thayers around. It would be interesting to find out.