Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Penises...

So along with potty training is the fun realization that 'we' have a penis and it is 'fun' to play with.

Today I have two entertaining instances of this...

First, we picked up a cheeseburger and some fries before hitting the grocery store because I knew it was going to be insane in there and well, we all need something to distract our three year old from time to time. So he ate his fries, most of his burger and I look down and say, hey...there's more burger left you want this? And I notice his hands are in his pants...I immediately thought, oh no, he's pee'd in the shopping cart. "Do you need to go potty?" I say. "No, no potty mommy"..hands still in pants. "Ok, well maybe you should get out of the cart right now." Trying to change the subject, the action that's going on...do I really want my three year old playing with himself in my shopping cart next to the bag of Tostitos?? No...no not really.

So...fast forward to a few minutes ago, yes it's almost ten...the boy has been watching Aladdin in bed, he's being good and quiet, so I just let him be. I heard the end song come on and started walking down the hall...where I hear "Go pee pee mommy" in a quiet voice...I walk into his room and he's taken off his zipped footy pajamas AND his diaper (we still use a diaper overnight) and was playing with himself again, I'm sure he was angry, we had put a few obstacles in his way to getting to his 'fun'.

He's too young for this. I know he's not...I know it's curiosity and it feels good and it's healthy and all that, but he's going to be obsessed with that thing for the next what...100 years? Can't he have a few more days of innocence? Can't I?

No comments: